The new set of Rs 100 currency is set to be released by Reserve Bank of India (RBI), which will be signed by Governor Shaktikanta Das. The design of the new notes is similar in all respects to the ₹100 banknotes in Mahatma Gandhi series. Even after the introduction of new notes, all old Rs. 100 notes will continue to be valid. Apart from the governor’s signature, they will not be any different from the old notes. In an official statement, the RBI has announced (December 2018) the release of a new Rs.20 currency note with additional features. In the last two years, RBI has introduced new look currency notes in the denominations Rs.10, Rs.50, Rs. 100,Rs.200, Rs.500 and Rs.2,000 currency notes. Since November 2016, the RBI has been introducing new currency notes under Mahatma Gandhi, of different sizes and designs.
To ensure whether the currency is fake or not, check for the following features on both sides:
Obverse side: Features of new Rs.100 notes
- See-through register with denominational numeral 100
- Latent image with denominational numeral 100
- Denominational numeral १०० in Devanagari
- portrait of Mahatma Gandhi at the centre.
- Micro letters ‘RBI’,‘भारत’, ‘India’ and ‘100’,
- Windowed security thread with inscriptions ‘भारत’ and RBI with colour shift; Colour of the thread changes from green to blue when the note is tilted
- Guarantee Clause, Governor’s signature with Promise Clause and RBI emblem towards the right of Mahatma Gandhi portrait,
- Ashoka Pillar emblem on the right
- Mahatma Gandhi portrait and electrotype (100) watermarks,
- Number panel with numerals in ascending font on the top left side and bottom right side,
- For visually impaired intaglio or raised printing of Mahatma Gandhi portrait, Ashoka Pillar emblem raised triangular identification mark with micro-text 100, four angular bleed lines both on the right and left sides.
Reverse: Features of new Rs 100 notes
- Year of printing of the note on the left
- Swachh Bharat logo with the slogan
- Language panel,
- The motif of RANI KI VAV,
- Denominational numeral १०० in Devnagari.